Home | GitHub | Meetup | Blog | Our Data | Slack

BrigadeHub for opensavannah.org – thoughts, queries, concerns?

(Carl V. Lewis) #1

The new homepage for Open Savannah rolled out last week thanks to the hard work of @pltaylor3 and our friends at Code for San Francisco.

Here’s a rough overview of what’s new:

• GitHub project sync - All active projects on the Open Savannah GitHub organization

WIP

(Carl V. Lewis) #2

Video overview of the new website:

(Roy) #3

This looks good as a member’s site. As the brigade brings projects live, how are they going to be accessible to the public? Will they be discrete sites or will there be a services portal put together?

I ask because looking at the site through the lens of an outsider, one can see it is for the team, but not for the general public.

There will have to be a little user education for each one of the projects so that people can get the most out of them. If they are tied into a portal, help files/tutorials/faqs can be bound together into a unified product. Not only that, but it would provide another means to solicit feedback and fresh ideas.

(Carl V. Lewis) #4

You make a valid point we’ve been trying to address, @roy.e.mosby. Would you like to help volunteer to write some of the documentation?

Of course, some UI changes are in order, too.

(Carl V. Lewis) #5

The /projects page will list in more detail all projects, syncing with GitHub and giving more granular detail. Each app or service we build will be separate things but will be listed and linked to in directory.

(Carl V. Lewis) #6

Was this at all helpful?

(Roy) #7

I certainly would be happy to help with documentation.

(Rob Lingle) #8

Beyond documentation, maybe we start planning to focus the whole home page on apps for average citizens.

Something like Panic’s? Big icons and descriptions. On-hover descriptions might be slightly too much for average citizens. :wink: A brief, non-technical overview for each app would help people get started.

Anything computer-y or actual-involvement-y could be on /projects and other pages. We’ll only have one app for now, but would be cool as a teaser site for more to come.

(Carl V. Lewis) #9

Not opposed personally to getting rid of the stats area and bumping the projects display up higher on page. I love Panic’s site (and software), and that’s definitely a good way to approach a showcase-only type site, but there’s also the element of making sure new users know how to connect, letting current members know upcoming dates, etc.

As for the styling of the project cards, very soon we’ll have the CSS injector working natively in the admin panel to make those sorts of adjustments more fluidly than having to build the site locally (which is a headache!).

(Carl V. Lewis) #10

Roy, added you to the GH org and as soon as you authenticate at opensavannah.org, I"ll make you a project lead there so you can manage those pages and post to blog and such.

(Roy) #11

Looks like I have the admin dashboard on Open Savannah. I’ll keep hands off until Friday/Saturday. I know that you have an event tomorrow evening; I’ll be traveling at that time :frowning: like I said so I will be missing it.

(Roy) #12

@carlvlewis I have initial task boards set up on the three projects under the github page. Will be be using waffle.io to manage projects?

(Carl V. Lewis) #13

Sure, I don’t see why not if that’s something we can all generally agree on. I always hesitate to mandate another ‘tool’ but as long as it’s working on top of GitHub then it’s still within the same content ecosystem.

(Roy) #14

It looks like the main draw is that it can contain information from multiple repos and can integrate with Slack. Depending on the level of the account, it also has a burndown graph (may be good for a PL depending on their methods and personality). I have never used the tool personally but maybe @lukegolden knows something about it that I overlooked.

(Carl V. Lewis) #15

Thanks @roy.e.mosby especially for the taskbucket – I’m about to add some files now. This is a good workflow.

(Roy) #16

Welcome! I thought that the taskbucket would be a low barrier-to-entry way to get non-coding people introduced to GitHub and contributing to needed work. I know GH’s been a learning curve for me.